Reusable Bags

The first challenge I have chosen for my self is to use reusable bags for 7 days whenever I can such as doing grocery or any kind of shopping. This challenge is relevant to me as I have noticed the number of bags of plastic bags in my home keeps growing due to the amount of grocery shopping I do. According to theĀ Environmental Protection Agency, roughly 2% of plastic bags are recycled in the United States. The rest are left to live on indefinitely in landfills or decompose in our oceans, where they leech toxins into the water and soil.

I had to complete my challenge in Guyana, a very small country of less than a million people located in South America. While there is no proper garbage/recycling system, the use of plastic bag is less. When going to the nearby shop, you either have to walk with your own bag or you will need to carry the items you bought with your hands. Almost everyday I went to the shop and I walked with a reusable bag. Even though it was by force, it felt good to not use a plastic bag. When I return to the states, my permanent home, I will surely continue to practice this sustainable habit.